Techcycled helps keep e-waste out of landfills by recycling circuit boards, electronics, and computer parts into jewelry and accessories. This Earth Day, 04-22, buy green and save green — 22% off all orders with coupon code EARTHDAY. Coupon expires 04-27 at midnight. Shop green geekery now!
We’re also participating in NASA’s #GlobalSelfie event:
Join NASA April 22 as we encourage people all over the world to step outside and celebrate environmental awareness. Anyone, anywhere on the globe, can participate by posting a “selfie” with their local environment as a backdrop. Post your photo to Twitter, Instagram or Google+ using the hashtag #GlobalSelfie or to the event groups on Facebook and Flickr. Photos tagged #GlobalSelfie will be used to create a mosaic image of Earth. For details on how to participate, visit: http://www.nasa.gov/globalselfie/
Post your selfie to Techcyled’s Facebook page or Google Plus page to receive a free mystery gift with your next order! Can be combined with other offers.
Happy Earth Day from Techcycled!
We would like to assure you that Techcycled’s shop is secure against the Heartbleed bug.
In addition, for your reference I have created a guide to help you learn about and protect yourself from this serious vulnerability.
Heartbleed Bug Guide
The Heartbleed bug is a serious vulnerability in the popular OpenSSL cryptographic software library, which is used by roughly 2/3 of websites on the internet. The bug was introduced in a version released on 2012-03-14 and a fix was released on 2014-04-07 — over two years of potential vulnerability.
There are many major websites that are or have been vulnerable. I personally had my credit card information stolen a few days before news of the Heartbleed bug broke in the mainstream media, so I urge everyone to take this issue seriously and take measures to protect your information. Below you will find a collection of information and resources that will help you secure your data.
* Determine the vulnerability of your major and sensitive accounts, such as email, banking, and social media (see resources below)
* Ensure the site has already fixed the bug (if not, let them know!)
* Change your password following best practices
* Monitor your credit card and bank accounts closely for unauthorized activity
Major websites and their Heartbleed status: http://mashable.com/2014/04/09/heartbleed-bug-websites-affected/
Web browser extensions that check the vulnerability of each site you visit and warn you of potential security risks:
Foxbleed for Firefox
Chromebleed for Chrome
Tools that will check a specific website:
Final note: I use the free browser-based password manager LastPass and highly recommend it. LastPass has been invaluable in my efforts to secure vulnerable accounts.
Calling all diabolical masterminds of mischief: post your most epic geeky prank or prank idea for a chance to win a $25 Techcycled gift card!
- Entries must be posted to the contest entry threads on our Facebook page or Google Plus page and must be nerdy in nature.
- Maximum of 2 entries per Facebook or Google Plus account.
- Pranks that have actually been implemented will carry extra weight — but you know what they say, pics or it didn’t happen!
- Contest closes at noon on Friday, April 4th.
- All decisions of the judges are final.
Let the shenanigans begin!